Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli & Pratt | Attorneys At Law

Immigrants receiving assistance may not be eligible for green card

On Behalf of | Sep 28, 2018 | US Immigration Law |

A new government proposal for immigrants may have an effect on many in the Miami area. There is a large population of immigrants in Miami and the surrounding areas. Lately, many immigrants may feel like there is a never-ending amount of proposals that affect their legal status.

A new proposal by President Trump takes aim at legal immigrants who are receiving government benefits. Legal immigrants receiving food stamps or subsidies for housing under Section 8 may soon not be eligible to receive a green card.

The Department of Homeland Security posted guidelines recently, which would potentially force millions to choose between obtaining a green card to live and work legally in the U.S. or receiving government benefits. This policy may also apply to seniors who receive Medicare Part D coverage for prescription drugs.

It is estimated that this policy will affect over 380,000 legal immigrants each year. The Department of Homeland Security is defending this policy by saying that it is aiming to promote self-sufficiency and saving taxpayers money.

Immigrants often feel like they are not welcome in our society. For many immigrants, the U.S. is not always a welcoming environment. Most immigrants are here in the U.S. to start a new life with their family, and to live and work in a country where there are more opportunities. If an immigrant has legal issues, they may want to speak with an attorney who is skilled in immigration.

An attorney understands how difficult it can be in the current political climate to navigate the legal system and obtain the necessary immigration documentation. They can help their client through the immigration process and make sure they understand how it all works.

Immigrants in the U.S may soon find themselves having to choose between receiving government benefits and getting a green card. Immigrants who have questions about immigration issues may want to speak with an attorney.



FindLaw Network