Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli & Pratt | Attorneys At Law

What kinds of visas are available for overseas professionals?

On Behalf of | Jun 10, 2021 | Immigration |

If you are a foreign national seeking employment in the United States, you need a work visa. There are multiple different work visas available to overseas professionals.

What are the different types of visas and which one should you get?

United States Green Cards

If you want to become a permanent resident of the United States, you need a Green Card. You may be able to obtain a green card through your job or offer of employment. Additionally, there is a green card lottery program.

Exchange Visitor visas

Exchange Visitor non-immigrant visas are for people who are work and study-based, exchange visitors. The purpose of this visa is to allow visitors to experience living in the United States, before returning to their home countries. Eligible visitors include camp counselors, interns, college students, doctors, professors, teachers, au pairs, scholars and trainees.

Temporary work visas

Temporary Non-Agricultural visas are for foreign employees in non-agricultural industries. These visas allow non-U.S. residents to work in the United States, only if there are not enough domestic workers to fill the jobs they work in. These jobs are usually temporary jobs, such as jobs at seasonal travel destinations.

H1-B non-immigrant visas are for overseas professionals seeking employment in skilled or specialized occupations. These jobs are also temporary and must be in a specific in-demand specialty occupation.

Seasonal Agricultural Worker visas are for foreign agriculture workers who want to work in the United States as seasonal or temporary employees. These visas have a three-year limit.

The appropriate visa for your situation depends on your employment and goals and which visas you meet the requirements to obtain.



FindLaw Network