Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli & Pratt | Attorneys At Law

Helping your parents secure green cards

On Behalf of | May 11, 2021 | Immigration |

If you live in the U.S. and have parents living overseas, you likely wish that they lived closer. Unfortunately, many people struggle to maintain solid relationships with their family members due to distance, especially when they live in other countries (necessitating international travel in order to spend time together).

Fortunately, some people are able to help their parents obtain green cards in order to become U.S. residents. That said, you need to satisfy a number of requirements in order to help your parents move secure green cards and not everyone is eligible.

How can people help their parents obtain green cards?

According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, in order to file a petition for your parents to obtain green cards and live in the U.S., you need to have U.S. citizenship. If you have a green card, you cannot petition for your parents to obtain green cards.

It is also important to note that the requirements are different for mothers and fathers. For both, you must submit Form I-130. For your mother, you need to provide a copy of your birth certificate (showing her name) and a copy of your U.S. passport if your birth occurred in another country. For your father, you must submit the aforementioned documents and also provide a copy of your parent’s marriage certificate.

Other issues regarding your parents’ green cards

After submitting your application, the USCIS will inform you if they approve or reject the petition. If accepted, your parent(s) can finish visa processing at a U.S. consulate. If denied, you have the ability to file an appeal, but you need to pay attention to time limits.



FindLaw Network