Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli & Pratt | Attorneys At Law

Statute of limitations for product liability actions in Florida

On Behalf of | Oct 27, 2017 | Products Liability |

There are many different aspects that go into the design of the many different products that people purchase in Florida. Obviously the main aspects of the design depend on the product itself and the purpose of the product. However, how a designer or manufacturer decides to get to the end goal can vary. Sometimes the designer or manufacturer may take some short cuts or use cheaper material, which end up causing the product to break or become dangerous when used in a normal manner.

If this occurs the products can cause severe injuries to the people using the defective products. These injuries can change how the person lives their life and limit their ability to do certain activities. They can also be costly. Medical bills can add up quickly, especially for long-term injuries which may require extensive rehabilitation. The person also may not be able to work, which can cost them a large amount of income.

Victims of these accidents may be entitled to compensation for these damages though through a products liability lawsuit. This compensation can pay for the medical bills and lost wages as well as other damages. However, the person must file the lawsuit within four years of first learning about the injury caused by the defective product. However, for most products, the lawsuit cannot begin more than 12 years after the product was first purchased. There are some exceptions to this rule though, one of which is if the product comes with a warranty for more than ten years.

Unfortunately some products purchased in Florida have dangerous designs or were manufactured improperly. If a person is injured as a result of the dangerous product it can change their life and be very costly. They may be entitled to compensation from the company that produced the product though. It is important that the victims are compensated properly though and experienced attorneys may be able to guide one through the process.

Source: Florida State Legislature, “Florida Statute 95.031” accessed on Oct. 25, 2017



FindLaw Network