Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli and Pratt P.A.
Nationwide Firm
Injury, Immigration and Business Attorneys
Aggressive Advocacy and Exceptional Civil Litigation Success

Can I extend my stay without violating US immigration law?

Many people come to Florida and throughout the United States from other countries for a specific period of time and decide that they want to stay longer. While many might make the mistake of simply not going back to their home country without having legal status in the U.S., there are many reasons why it is advisable for a person to seek to be granted an extension to stay. Those who are interested in an extension need to make sure to go through the legal process for doing so to prevent running afoul with the law and avoiding the various punishments that can come from a violation.

A person who would like to extend his or her stay needs to file a request with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Form I-539 is used for this purpose. It is an application to change the status prior to the authorized stay expiring. A person who stays longer than authorized could be subjected to deportation and being barred from returning. The USCIS advises that the application to extend the stay be made a minimum of 45 days before the initial expiration.

The stay can be extended if: the person was admitted legally with a nonimmigrant visa; the nonimmigrant visa is valid; no crimes were committed that can make the person ineligible for a visa; there were no violations of the conditions of the admission; the passport is valid and will remain so for the duration of the visit. A person is not allowed to apply for an extension if he or she was: admitted under the Visa waiver program; a crew member; transiting through the U.S.; transiting through the U.S. without a visa; is the fiancé of a U.S. citizen or the dependent of a fiancé; or is an information regarding terrorism or organized crime.

People who are in the U.S. need to be aware of how their legal status can be affected if they choose to overstay their visa and do not get the approval to do so. Making sure that there is no issue with illegal immigration is an important part of visiting the U.S. Speaking to a legal professional who is well-acquainted with US immigration law can help with receiving an extension to stay and in dealing with other issues than an immigrant might face when visiting the U.S.

Source: uscis.gov, "Extend Your Stay," accessed on July 5, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Kurzban's Immigration Law Sourcebook

We Literally Wrote The Book On Immigration Law

Our firm is a recognized leader in immigration law and litigation. We handle the spectrum from family and employment-based visas to deportation defense and immigration appeals. Founding partner Ira Kurzban authored the Immigration Law Sourcebook, widely used by immigration lawyers, judges and government officials as the authoritative field reference.

Aggressive Advocacy and Exceptional Civil Litigation Successes Call Our Firm at 786-401-4706 or Fill Out the Secure Form Below

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

IIUSA | 2018 EB-5 Industry Achievement Awards | Litigator Of The Year |Kurzban Kurzban Weinger Tetzeli & Pratt P.A.
2018 EB-5 Industry Achievement Award

Miami Office
2650 SW 27th Avenue
2nd Floor
Miami, FL 33133

Phone: 786-401-4706
Fax: 305-444-3503
Miami Law Office Map

Jacksonville Office
10752 Deerwood Park Boulevard South
Suite 100
Jacksonville, FL 32256

Map & Directions

Jed Kurzban Of Counsel at Damon Key Leong Kupchak Hastert, A Law Corporation
1003 Bishop Street
Suite 1600
Pauahi Tower
Honolulu, HI 96813
Phone: 808-531-8031

Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli and Pratt P.A.