Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli and Pratt P.A.
Nationwide Firm
Injury, Immigration and Business Attorneys
Aggressive Advocacy and Exceptional Civil Litigation Success

How can my foreign fiancée move to the US to marry?

In our global community, relationships can develop in many situations, and often span time and distance. In some cases, romantic connections can happen across borders, between people of different nationalities. Many Americans travel for pleasure, study abroad or work for globally-connected companies. Thus, meeting someone and falling in love is not at all uncommon.

Of course, taking the relationship to the next level may involve some unexpected legal issues. Certainly, most world citizens can freely travel to the United States for pleasure, but to remain for an extended period of time – or indefinitely – a visa is required. There are many types of visas, but if the goal is to have a fiancée come prior to marriage, then the applicable visa is the Fiancé(e) Visa.

To start the process, an application must be submitted for review. There are a number of eligibility requirements that must be met for the fiancée to qualify for this particular visa. For example, the petitioner – the person sponsoring the application – must be a U.S. citizen. Both the petitioner and the fiancée must also be free and clear of any previous marriages; this means those marriages are legally ended through annulment, divorce or the death of the previous spouse.


There is also the requirement that the two parties have met in person at least once within 2 years of the application process. However, there are exceptions for hardship or cultural practices, but the petitioner will need to be prepared with evidence to support this.

Importantly, a successful application and granting of the visa provides 90 days for the fiancée and petitioner to marry – it will expire, without an opportunity to extend, after that period. Additional applications, for a different visa or permanent resident status, will likely be required. Navigating the U.S. Immigration system for immigration matters for families can sometimes be confusing and difficult, so seeking the counsel of an experienced attorney can help avoid pratfalls and put forth a strong application. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Kurzban's Immigration Law Sourcebook

We Literally Wrote The Book On Immigration Law

Our firm is a recognized leader in immigration law and litigation. We handle the spectrum from family and employment-based visas to deportation defense and immigration appeals. Founding partner Ira Kurzban authored the Immigration Law Sourcebook, widely used by immigration lawyers, judges and government officials as the authoritative field reference.

Aggressive Advocacy and Exceptional Civil Litigation Successes Call Our Firm at 786-401-4706 or Fill Out the Secure Form Below

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

IIUSA | 2018 EB-5 Industry Achievement Awards | Litigator Of The Year |Kurzban Kurzban Weinger Tetzeli & Pratt P.A.
2018 EB-5 Industry Achievement Award

Miami Office
2650 SW 27th Avenue
2nd Floor
Miami, FL 33133

Phone: 786-401-4706
Fax: 305-444-3503
Miami Law Office Map

Jacksonville Office
10752 Deerwood Park Boulevard South
Suite 100
Jacksonville, FL 32256

Map & Directions

Jed Kurzban Of Counsel at Damon Key Leong Kupchak Hastert, A Law Corporation
1003 Bishop Street
Suite 1600
Pauahi Tower
Honolulu, HI 96813
Phone: 808-531-8031

Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli and Pratt P.A.