Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli and Pratt P.A.
Nationwide Firm
Injury, Immigration and Business Attorneys
Aggressive Advocacy and Exceptional Civil Litigation Success

What should I expect from the naturalization process?

"A Guide to Naturalization" needs to be read before anyone starts the naturalization process. It answers a lot of the common questions that people have about the process.

The next step is to complete the worksheet in the back of the guide. This will determine if you are eligible for naturalization. The worksheet will tell you if you are eligible, and if so, then you need to get an "Application for Naturalization" or Form N-400.

Make sure you complete this form in its entirety. You could experience a delay in processing if the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services determines that your application is not complete. Two passport-sized pictures must be sent in with your application. These photos can't be older than 30 days.

Next, you'll need to get a copy of your Form I-551 if you are a permanent resident of the U.S. You may have to send in specific documents that are listed on the Document Checklist, which is in the back of this Guide. Submit photocopies, but bring originals to your interview. If a document is not in English, then a translated copy will need to be sent. Then send your application, documents and correct fee to the USCIS Lockbox Facility in your area.

You will receive a letter telling you where to go to have your fingerprints taken. Once that is done, the USCIS will send you a letter telling where you have to go to have your interview. Go to your appointment with identification and any additional documents the USCIS needed. You will take a civics test and an English test during the interview.

After you have completed the interview and tests, you will receive a Form N-652. This form will tell you whether your naturalization request was approved, denied or continued. If you are approved, you'll be given a date to come to a ceremony where you will take an Oath of Allegiance to the U.S. You will need to arrive at 30 minutes early and check in with USCIS. You'll have to give the USCIS your Permanent Resident Card when you check in.

Another interview will take place if there is more than a day between the ceremony and your interview. Then you will take the oath and receive you Certificate of Naturalization.

It is often easier to have an experienced professional assist with this process.

Source: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, "A Guide to Naturalization," accessed Dec. 23, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Kurzban's Immigration Law Sourcebook

We Literally Wrote The Book On Immigration Law

Our firm is a recognized leader in immigration law and litigation. We handle the spectrum from family and employment-based visas to deportation defense and immigration appeals. Founding partner Ira Kurzban authored the Immigration Law Sourcebook, widely used by immigration lawyers, judges and government officials as the authoritative field reference.

Aggressive Advocacy and Exceptional Civil Litigation Successes Call Our Firm at 786-401-4706 or Fill Out the Secure Form Below

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

IIUSA | 2018 EB-5 Industry Achievement Awards | Litigator Of The Year |Kurzban Kurzban Weinger Tetzeli & Pratt P.A.
2018 EB-5 Industry Achievement Award

Miami Office
2650 SW 27th Avenue
2nd Floor
Miami, FL 33133

Phone: 786-401-4706
Fax: 305-444-3503
Miami Law Office Map

Jacksonville Office
10752 Deerwood Park Boulevard South
Suite 100
Jacksonville, FL 32256

Map & Directions

Jed Kurzban Of Counsel at Damon Key Leong Kupchak Hastert, A Law Corporation
1003 Bishop Street
Suite 1600
Pauahi Tower
Honolulu, HI 96813
Phone: 808-531-8031

Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli and Pratt P.A.