Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli & Pratt | Attorneys At Law

Seeking residency and citizenship by way of a family member

On Behalf of | Jun 4, 2015 | Family Immigration |

When an immigrant hopes to become a United States citizen, there are a wide variety of visa types to choose from, but only certain pathways might apply to a particular person’s needs. One of the most common pathways to citizenship and/or permanent residency is to obtain a visa based on the legal status of a family member who has already obtained his or her U.S. citizenship.

The family visa track that you pursue will largely depend on the nature of your relation to the family member who will be your sponsor. For example, if you are a under 21 years of age and your parent and/or spouse is a United States citizen, you can seek your visa through the “Immediate Relative” track. Priority of visa awards is deemed by a variety of factors in these cases. “FB-1 First Preference” is given to the unmarried daughters and sons of U.S. citizens. “FB-2 Third Preference” is given to married daughters and sons of U.S. citizens. FB-4 Fourth Preference” is given to sisters and brothers of U.S. citizens.

Depending on your situation, you might also qualify for a “K-1 or K-3 Fiancée Visa”. These are awarded to the fiancées of United States citizens and they are good for a 90-day visit in the country. Finally, a “K-3 Visa” is given to U.S. citizens whose spouses have yet to receive their award of permanent residency, and it allows a spouse to remain in the country for a specific period of time while waiting for the award.

At Kurzban Kurzban Weinger Tetzeli & Pratt, PA, our primary responsibility is helping individuals establish their residency and gain citizenship in the United States. We also help individuals in their deportation hearings and other immigration-related legal matters.



FindLaw Network