Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli & Pratt | Attorneys At Law

Replacing a green card

On Behalf of | Mar 26, 2015 | US Permanent Residency |

Florida residents who find themselves needing to replace a green card may be interested in knowing more about the process. Because a green card provides proof of immigration status and authorization to live and work in the country, it is important that permanent residents carry this form of identification with them at all times. According to information supplied by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, individuals over the age of 18 who do not have a valid green card in their possession could be subject to misdemeanor charges.

A green card may need to be replaced for a number of reasons. It could be lost, stolen or damaged, or the immigrant’s status may have changed from commuter to permanent resident. The biographic information contained on the card may have been legally changed, or the original card may have contained errors. In some cases, a previously issued card may no longer be valid once an individual reaches the age of 14, and some earlier forms of the alien registration card are outdated and must be replaced. It is also possible that some intended recipients never received the green cards that were originally issued.

Miami residents who need to replace a green card can begin the process by filing an application online or by mailing a hard copy of the completed application form to USCIS. Once it has been filed, the status of the application can be checked online.

The USCIS maintains a service center where immigration-related questions can be addressed. However, Miami residents who have concerns about replacing their green card may find it helpful to seek advice from a skilled attorney. The attorney could help a client prepare and file an application. If it is denied, the attorney could discuss options with the client and possibly file a motion to reconsider or a motion to reopen on behalf of the party seeking the replacement green card.



FindLaw Network