Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli and Pratt P.A.
Nationwide Firm
Injury, Immigration and Business Attorneys
Aggressive Advocacy and Exceptional Civil Litigation Success

Florida residents need special visas for foreign fiancee

Those who wish to marry a foreign national may need to apply for a special visa. Whether or not one is needed will depend on where the marriage is to occur.

When the fiancee is a citizen of another country and resides there, the one residing in the United States may apply for a visa to bring the future spouse into America to be wed. If the marriage is to take place on U.S. soil, this documentation must be applied for. If the marriage is to take place in another country, a visa will not be necessary. Any U.S. citizen applying for the visa must marry the intended within 3 months after the prospective spouse arrives in America. In addition, the couple must have met at least one time within the two years prior to the application. In some cases, that requirement can be waived.

If the visa is granted, the wedding must take place within the 90-day period. Minor children of the fiancee may also be included and should be listed on the original application. Once the couple has legally married, the fiancee may put in an application requesting permanent residence. The fiancee can apply for permission to work from their first day of residence, but the permission will last only throughout the first 90-day period. Permanent residence and extension of permission to work legally in the U.S. can be applied for together once the couple has married.

The immigration rules can be confusing, especially when it comes to bringing family members and loved ones to join the family that has already established residence. A consultation with an immigration attorney may help to clear up the confusion and offer options to reunite the family.

Source: United States Department of Homeland Security , "Fiancé(e) Visas", September 04, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Kurzban's Immigration Law Sourcebook

We Literally Wrote The Book On Immigration Law

Our firm is a recognized leader in immigration law and litigation. We handle the spectrum from family and employment-based visas to deportation defense and immigration appeals. Founding partner Ira Kurzban authored the Immigration Law Sourcebook, widely used by immigration lawyers, judges and government officials as the authoritative field reference.

Aggressive Advocacy and Exceptional Civil Litigation Successes Call Our Firm at 786-401-4706 or Fill Out the Secure Form Below

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

IIUSA | 2018 EB-5 Industry Achievement Awards | Litigator Of The Year |Kurzban Kurzban Weinger Tetzeli & Pratt P.A.
2018 EB-5 Industry Achievement Award

Miami Office
2650 SW 27th Avenue
2nd Floor
Miami, FL 33133

Phone: 786-401-4706
Fax: 305-444-3503
Miami Law Office Map

Jacksonville Office
10752 Deerwood Park Boulevard South
Suite 100
Jacksonville, FL 32256

Map & Directions

Jed Kurzban Of Counsel at Damon Key Leong Kupchak Hastert, A Law Corporation
1003 Bishop Street
Suite 1600
Pauahi Tower
Honolulu, HI 96813
Phone: 808-531-8031

Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli and Pratt P.A.