Florida's Top Employment Immigration Lawyers

Contextual Image

For over three decades, the attorneys of Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli and Pratt P.A. have been national leaders in helping businesses with any immigration matter, representing talented individuals, business professionals, entrepreneurs and investors who have decided to invest, start a business venture, expand business operations, explore business opportunities and/or work in the United States.

The International Who's Who Of Corporate Immigration Lawyers previously named our partner, Mr. Ira J. Kurzban, as Florida's top corporate immigration lawyer and one of the world's 23 most highly regarded corporate immigration lawyers. This publication states that Mr. Kurzban is a "legend in the field" who has written "the definitive book on U.S. immigration law." Mr. Kurzban and the firm have also been named as first tier lawyers in Chambers, the prominent British publication.

We also represent domestic, international and multinational corporations, universities and other organizations that employ foreign nationals on a temporary or permanent basis. Our work is comprehensive: We work with other professionals, including accountants and/or experts in national and international taxation to design an immigration strategy to minimize costs and tax exposure and to ensure compliance with the complex immigration and nationality laws of the United States.

Our Services

We prepare and file nonimmigrant petitions, immigrant petitions and visa applications with U.S. Consulates across the world. We have the experience to evaluate your situation and advise as to the best possible course of action to achieve permanent residency or to obtain nonimmigrant visa.

Business And Employment-Based Immigration

  • EB-1 Foreign Nationals of Extraordinary Ability, Outstanding Professors and Researchers, and Multinational Executives and Managers: Individuals in this category can petition for permanent residency without having to go through the time-consuming labor certification process.
  • EB-2 Workers with Advanced Degrees or Exceptional Ability in the Sciences, Arts or Business: Visa holders in this category normally must have a job offer and the potential employer must complete the labor certification process. The labor certification involves a testing of the job market to demonstrate that the potential visa holder is not taking a job away from a U.S. worker. In cases where an individual can show that his or her entry is in the nation's interest, the job offer and labor certification requirements can be waived.
  • EB-3 Skilled Workers and Professionals: Visa holders in this category normally must have a job offer, and the potential employer must complete the labor certification process.
  • EB-4 Special Immigrant Visas for Religious Workers: Ministers of religion are eligible for permanent residency.
  • EB-5 Investor/Employment Creation Visas: Under the 1990 Immigration Act, Congress has set aside up to 10,000 visas per year for alien investors in new commercial enterprises that create employment for ten thousand qualified individuals. There are two groups of investors under the program — those who invest at least $500,000 in targeted employment areas (rural areas or areas experiencing high unemployment of at least 150 percent of the national average rate) and those who invest $1 million anywhere else. A person may also invest through a regional center where he or she can show job creation directly or indirectly.

Business And Employment-Based Non-Immigrant Visas

  • E-1/E-2 Treaty Trader and Investor Visas: Investors and traders and their employees may receive visas to carry on their businesses in the U.S. if their home country has a commercial treaty with the U.S. conferring visa eligibility.
  • H-1B Specialty Occupation (Professional) Visas: Professional workers with at least a bachelor's degree (or its equivalent work experience) may be eligible for a non-immigrant visa if their employers can demonstrate that they are to be paid at least the prevailing wage for the position.
  • J-1 and Q-1 Exchange Visitor Visas: Persons coming to the U.S. in an approved exchange program may be eligible for the J-1 exchange visitor's visa. J-1 programs often cover students, short-term scholars, business trainees, teachers, professors and research scholars, specialists, international visitors, government visitors, camp counselors and au pairs.
    • In some cases, participation in a J-1 program will be coupled with the requirement that the beneficiary spend at least two years outside of the U.S. before being permitted to switch to a different non-immigrant visa or to permanent residency. Mr. Kurzban regularly handles the application process for seeking a waiver of this two-year home residency requirement that applies to many J-1 visa holders.
    • Q visas are for persons seeking temporary employment in a culturally unique program or private enterprise (e.g. employees at EPCOT working in their country's pavilion).
  • L-1 Intra-company Transfer Visas: L-1 visas are available to executives, managers and specialized knowledge employees transferring to their employer's U.S. affiliate, parent or subsidiary. Executives and managers holding L-1 visas may be eligible for permanent residency without the need for a labor certification.
  • O-1 Extraordinary Ability Worker Visas: The O-1 category is set-aside for foreign nationals with extraordinary ability. Persons with extraordinary ability in entertainment, business, athletics and science may qualify.
  • P-1 Artists and Athletes Visas: This category covers professional athletes, artists and entertainers.
  • R-1 Religious Worker Visas: Religious workers may be eligible for an R-1 visa if they were a member of the religious denomination for at least two years immediately preceding their entry, they are coming to work at least 20 hours per week, and they are coming to perform a religious vocation or occupation.
  • TN Status Under the North American Free Trade Agreement: A special category has been set up for nationals of Canada and Mexico under the provisions of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), who seek to be employed in the U.S. in certain categories designated under the treaty.

Other Temporary Or Non-Immigrant Visas

  • A Diplomatic Visas: Available to foreign governments officials, their employees and family members recognized by the U.S. coming on official business.
  • B-1/B-2 Visitor's Visas: Available to visitors coming to the U.S. for business (B-1) or pleasure (B-2). B-1 business visitor visas are for a short duration and must not involve local employment. Nationals of certain countries may also be eligible for visa waiver to visit the U.S. for up to 90 days without the need to obtain a visa at the U.S. Consulate before seeking entry (e.g., Canada, United Kingdom, Japan).
  • C Transit Visas: C visa is available to persons in "immediate and continuous transit through U.S." ( e.g., Crewmen joining ship. Businessmen traveling from Belize to Jamaica through the U.S.).
  • D Crewmen's Visa: Available to people serving in good faith in any capacity required for normal operating and service on board a vessel (crewman), crewman trainees, and employees of owners or concessionaires (e.g., beautician on ship).
  • F-1 Academic Student Visas: Available to students pursuing full-time, non-vocational academic programs at post-secondary institutions who are qualified to pursue such study.
    • A student in F-1 status is given duration of status ("D/S"), meaning s/he maintains the F-1 status as long as s/he is enrolled in the program full-time. Absent prior permission by the school and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, the student must be enrolled at school full-time in order to maintain the F-1 status.
    • An F-1 student may work pursuant to a curricular practical training (CPT) program during school years.
    • In addition, an F-1 student may work pursuant to optional practical training (OPT) program while in school or after graduation for up to one year unless the student is studying as a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math program), in which case he or she may receive 29 months of OPT.
    • Any OPT period used during school years is subtracted from the maximum one-year OPT period. OPT must be completed within 14 months of the completion of study.
    • An F-1 student is given a 60-day grace period to depart the U.S. immediately following either completion of study or OPT.
    • A person in F-1 status may change status to H-1B (or another status) during the 60-day grace period.
  • G Visas: G visas are for representatives of foreign governments and international organizations and their employees and family members. There are five different categories:
    • G-1s are for members of a permanent mission of a recognized government.
    • G-2s are for representatives of a recognized government and their immediate family, including military officers assisting the U.N. with peacekeeping matters, attendees of courses at the IMF and the World Bank, and other accredited representatives and immediate family.
    • G-3s are for G-1/G-2s who are from governments without de jure recognition from the U.S., or are from a nonmember country of an international organization.
    • G-4s are for officers and employees of international organizations and immediate family, including personnel of any rank.
    • G-5s are for attendants, servants and personal employees of G-1 to G-4.
  • I-1 Journalist/Representatives of Media Visas: Available to members of the foreign press or the media seeking to enter the U.S. solely for non-commercial vocational purposes. I visa holders are admitted for duration of status and may extend their stay as long as they continue to pursue their vocational activities in the U.S.
  • M-1 Vocational Student Visas: Person seeking to pursue non-academic vocational study at post-secondary vocational/business schools may be eligible for M-1 visas (e.g. flight or cooking school). Unlike other duration of status visas (i.e., F-1 and I-1), M-1 visa holders may not change their status to another nonimmigrant status. The maximum period is typically 18 months.
  • N Visas: Available to parents and children of G-4s and NATO employees afforded special immigrant status under INA §101(a)(27)(I) or (L) if the child is given the visa during the time s/he is under 21.
  • S Visa: Available to persons who assisted the U.S. federal or state government by providing information essential to the success of an authorized criminal investigation or prosecution.
  • T Visa: A person who has been subject to severe forms of trafficking in persons (the use of force fraud or coercion for sex trafficking and/or involuntary servitude, peonage, debt bondage or slavery).
  • U Visa: A person who has suffered substantial physical or mental abuse as a result of having been a victim of certain crimes may obtain a U visa if he or she is cooperating with law enforcement authority.
  • V Visa: A spouse or child of a lawful permanent resident, if the permanent resident filed a petition for the spouse or child before December 21, 2000 and is pending for more than three years.

Regulation/Work Site Enforcement Compliance

Our lawyers represent business organizations seeking to employ foreign individuals and ensures compliance with immigration regulations, including Form I-9 compliance and H-1B Labor Condition Application documentation. The firm advises clients on the best practices necessary to assure compliance with Department of Labor LCA regulations and the tools necessary to run a successful H-1B program, including the preparation of Public Access Files. Moreover, the firm represents clients before the Department of Labor in LCA audits thereby ensuring compliance with the H-1B program. We can also help with IRCA and I-9 compliance for U.S. employers.

Immigration Policy Guidance And Program Support

Beyond regulatory compliance, our attorneys have the experience and knowledge to assist businesses in creating a cost-effective and streamlined immigration policy. We can help with the creation of corporations and other organizations, with articles of incorporation/corporate kit; advise as to the impact of immigration law on mergers, acquisitions and other business transactions; and much more.

Court Appearances

Attorney representation at interviews, hearings and in litigation.


It is no exaggeration to declare that Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli and Pratt P.A. is a national leader in immigration-related litigation services representing businesses or individuals before administrative agencies and the federal courts. In his 33 years of work in immigration law, firm partner Ira J. Kurzban, Esq., has litigated over 50 reported immigration cases before federal district courts, federal courts of appeals, and/or the United States Supreme Court.

Mr. Kurzban has argued more immigration-related cases before the United States Supreme Court than any other private practitioner in the country. His cases have included class action lawsuits for thousands of convicts who were illegally deprived of a fair hearing in their effort to obtain permanent residency.

Using The Latest In Technology To Serve Our Clients

Our immigration attorneys use the most sophisticated tools available to serve our clients, serving nonimmigrant and permanent resident matters in a highly organized, efficient manner while ensuring maximum access to information. We provide flexible, customized online portals providing access to all relevant informatio, including automated case tracking, reporting, 24/7 access to case information, fact and data gathering, news and client alerts, links to other immigration-related websites and client-specific immigration policies and procedures.

Our Greatest Assets

The greatest asset to our firm is the experience and dedication of our immigration lawyers. For more than 30 years, our lawyers have worked one-on-one with our immigration clients, addressing their every concern and alerting them to issues they may not be aware of, all with our characteristic efficiency and thoroughness. Contact us for your initial consultation in any immigration issue. Our offices are in Miami and Florida, but our famed immigration practice spans the whole world.