Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli & Pratt | Attorneys At Law

Who can initiate a wrongful death lawsuit in Florida?

On Behalf of | Jul 21, 2017 | Wrongful Death |

It is inevitable that at some point in time people in Florida will have a loved one pass away. Everyone knows that this will occur at some point in time, but it does not make it any easier when it actually happens. While it does not necessarily make it any easier, the hope is that the person dies at an old age after living a long, full life. However, this is not always the situation and many people die in fatal accidents when they are relatively young.

When people die young it can be very difficult on their family who may have relied on the loved one not only for support and guidance, but also financial resources. So, while the family is trying to figure out how to fill the emotional void, they will also have to fill the financial void. Simply paying the monthly bills can become difficult.

Many of these fatal accidents could have been prevented as well. Many times the accident is caused by the negligence of a person or entity and, if not for their negligence, there would not have been an accident.

Therefore, the survivors of the victim may be entitled to compensation for their loss. This is usually accomplished through a wrongful death lawsuit. This lawsuit must be initiated by the personal representative of the victim. The personal representative will initiate the lawsuit on behalf of the survivors who will be the individuals who will receive the compensation.

Unfortunately there are many fatal accidents every year in Florida. These accidents can be devastating for the family and friends of the victim. The family may never be able to fully replace the love provided by the loved one, but they may be able to replace at least the financial contributions. This may be a small consolation, but it can still be very valuable. Experienced attorneys understand the devastation of losing a loved one in a fatal accident and may be a useful resource.

Source: Florida State Legislature, “Florida Statute 768.20,” accessed on July 17, 2017



FindLaw Network