Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli & Pratt | Attorneys At Law

What are your visa options if you want to work in the U.S.?

On Behalf of | Jun 29, 2023 | Employment Immigration |

If you have always dreamed of working in the United States, you may wonder what steps you need to take to make this dream a reality. One factor you need to consider is securing a visa that allows you to work legally in the country.

The U.S. offers several types of work visas depending on your circumstances, skills and employment type. Here are a few visa options that you might consider.

Temporary work visas

If you are looking to work in the U.S. for a limited period, you can consider applying for a temporary work visa. There are several categories to choose from:

  • H-1B visas are for individuals in specialty occupations, which require a higher education degree or its equivalent. This could include fields such as science, engineering or information technology.
  • H-2B visas are for temporary non-agricultural jobs, often used by industries that need extra help during peak seasons.
  • O visas are for individuals who have extraordinary ability or achievement in sciences, arts, education, business or athletics.

For most of these visa types, you must have a job offer from a U.S. employer who will act as your sponsor.

Permanent work visas

If you are planning to work and live permanently in the U.S., you could contemplate getting a permanent work visa, often referred to as a “Green Card.”

EB-1 visas, for example, are for those recognized as the best in their fields, such as exceptional professors or researchers or multinational managers. If you are a professional with an advanced degree or someone with exceptional skills in arts, sciences or business, EB-2 visas might be the way to go. EB-3 visas cover skilled workers, professionals and other workers who do not fit into the EB-1 or EB-2 categories.

Each of these visa categories has specific requirements that you must meet, and often, you will need a job offer from a U.S. employer.

Seeking to work in the United States can be a complex process. Whether you plan to work temporarily or permanently, there are several paths available.



FindLaw Network