Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli and Pratt P.A.
Nationwide Firm
Injury, Immigration and Business Attorneys
Aggressive Advocacy and Exceptional Civil Litigation Success

Visas for recent college graduates can be tricky

Many students come to the U.S. to study at our colleges. Once they finish college, they often want to stay and work. But, getting a visa to legally stay and work through employment immigration in the U.S. can be tricky.

There are a few visa options for foreign students once they graduate from a United States college. They can gain an authorization from immigration authorities called the Optional Practical Training (OPT). This allows a student to stay for 1 to 3 years to work in their field of study with an extension on their student visa. The other popular way for students to stay in the U.S., up to 6 years, is the H-1B visa. This is an employer-sponsored visa given in a lottery system. In order for a student to receive an H-1B visa, they need to find an employer to sponsor them. That can be difficult, as less than 25% of U.S. companies say they will be hiring foreign workers. The recent graduates are also competing with often more experienced foreign employees from across the world.

Recent college graduates who want to stay in the U.S. to work can find the process confusing. An attorney who specializes in employment immigration can help their client with their goal of working in the U.S. An attorney understands the visa process, what is needed, key pieces of information required, and the complexities that can arise. They can help both students and employers through the H-1B process and helping them meet their needs. They understand how important these situations are for employers and student alike and that legal help is often needed.

When students graduate from college, they often go out into the workforce. For foreign students, this process is more complicated and difficult.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Kurzban's Immigration Law Sourcebook

We Literally Wrote The Book On Immigration Law

Our firm is a recognized leader in immigration law and litigation. We handle the spectrum from family and employment-based visas to deportation defense and immigration appeals. Founding partner Ira Kurzban authored the Immigration Law Sourcebook, widely used by immigration lawyers, judges and government officials as the authoritative field reference.

Aggressive Advocacy and Exceptional Civil Litigation Successes Call Our Firm at 786-401-4706 or Fill Out the Secure Form Below

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

IIUSA | 2018 EB-5 Industry Achievement Awards | Litigator Of The Year |Kurzban Kurzban Weinger Tetzeli & Pratt P.A.
2018 EB-5 Industry Achievement Award

Miami Office
2650 SW 27th Avenue
2nd Floor
Miami, FL 33133

Phone: 786-401-4706
Fax: 305-444-3503
Miami Law Office Map

Jacksonville Office
10752 Deerwood Park Boulevard South
Suite 100
Jacksonville, FL 32256

Map & Directions

Jed Kurzban Of Counsel at Damon Key Leong Kupchak Hastert, A Law Corporation
1003 Bishop Street
Suite 1600
Pauahi Tower
Honolulu, HI 96813
Phone: 808-531-8031

Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli and Pratt P.A.