Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli and Pratt P.A.
Nationwide Firm
Injury, Immigration and Business Attorneys
Aggressive Advocacy and Exceptional Civil Litigation Success

What are investor based visas?

Not everyone who comes to Florida or anywhere in the U.S. as an immigrant is doing so to look for work or to join family members. Some would like to enter the U.S. to start a business as an investor. A person who does this might be eligible for investor based visas. There are certain rules for a person to receive a Green Card through investment. Knowing how to meet these rules is vital to getting this type of Green Card.

An entrepreneur who chooses to invest in a commercial enterprise in the U.S. or plans to create and maintain at least 10 permanent full-time jobs for U.S. workers who are qualified to do them can be granted permanent residence in the U.S. This also applies to their spouses and any child under age 21 who is not married. Each fiscal year, the U.S. will allow as many as 10,000 of these visas. The entrepreneur must invest $1 million or at least $500,000 in an area that is declared "targeted" meaning that it has high unemployment or is a rural area. In exchange for doing this, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) may allow the entrepreneur and family to stay in the U.S. as permanent residents.

There is a form that must be filled out and approved: Form I-526, Immigrant Petition by Alien Entrepreneur. The person must be able to get admission to the U.S. And the immigrant visa must be immediately available for the person to enter the U.S. Those currently living outside the U.S. can receive permanent residence through consular processing. The USCIS will work with the Department of State to issue the visa once the form has been approved. Those who are already living in the U.S. can become permanent residents through adjustment of status. This happens when Form I-526 has been approved and there is a visa number available. Then the person can apply via Form I-485. This is the Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.

Those who are seeking to invest in the U.S. but are unsure as to whether they can live in the country legally after doing so should be aware of the rules for getting a Green Card through investment. Discussing a case with a legal professional experienced in a wide range of issues related to employment immigration in all its forms is essential to succeeding in getting a Green Card as an investor.

Source: uscis.gov, "Green Card Through Investment," accessed on June 12, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Kurzban's Immigration Law Sourcebook

We Literally Wrote The Book On Immigration Law

Our firm is a recognized leader in immigration law and litigation. We handle the spectrum from family and employment-based visas to deportation defense and immigration appeals. Founding partner Ira Kurzban authored the Immigration Law Sourcebook, widely used by immigration lawyers, judges and government officials as the authoritative field reference.

Aggressive Advocacy and Exceptional Civil Litigation Successes Call Our Firm at 786-401-4706 or Fill Out the Secure Form Below

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

IIUSA | 2018 EB-5 Industry Achievement Awards | Litigator Of The Year |Kurzban Kurzban Weinger Tetzeli & Pratt P.A.
2018 EB-5 Industry Achievement Award

Miami Office
2650 SW 27th Avenue
2nd Floor
Miami, FL 33133

Phone: 786-401-4706
Fax: 305-444-3503
Miami Law Office Map

Jacksonville Office
10752 Deerwood Park Boulevard South
Suite 100
Jacksonville, FL 32256

Map & Directions

Jed Kurzban Of Counsel at Damon Key Leong Kupchak Hastert, A Law Corporation
1003 Bishop Street
Suite 1600
Pauahi Tower
Honolulu, HI 96813
Phone: 808-531-8031

Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli and Pratt P.A.