Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli and Pratt P.A.
Nationwide Firm
Injury, Immigration and Business Attorneys
Aggressive Advocacy and Exceptional Civil Litigation Success

Is there a path to permanent residence for my relatives?

If you are a citizen of the United States, you may be able to help your relatives gain permanent residence. A citizen of the U.S. can petition for a spouse or their children to apply for permanent residency. If you are unmarried, and over 21 years of age, you may also petition for your parents or siblings.

The first step is to file a petition (form I-130) for your relative. You must include proof of your relationship with the person. A separate form must be completed for each relative. Once the petition has been received by Immigration Services and approved, your relative is categorized and placed in line with other relative applicants from the same country and relative-status. The petition is placed at the back of the line for their category; petitions are worked in the order received. There are exceptions to this waiting period for the following family members: spouses, parents and children under 21. These family members do not have to wait in line, but are immediately processed.

When the petition reaches the front of the line or meets one of the family exceptions above, background checks are performed and admission requirements evaluated. If approved, you and your relative are notified that they are now eligible to apply for a visa. The resident can now file the permanent residency petition, which is form I-485. When a relative is eligible to file for permanent residency, their immediate family members -- spouse and children under the age of 21 -- can join them in filing for permanent residency also. There is a $165 fee involved with filing for permanent residency and must be paid by each relative. There will also be a waiting period depending on the number of immigrants waiting on legal entry to the U.S.

What you should know: If you petition for a relative's permanent residency status, you also become their financial sponsor. When the relative's immigration time arrives, you must file an Affidavit of Support. If you are unable to qualify as the financial sponsor, another individual can make this commitment.

The process of legalizing immigrants can be complicated at times and all forms must be completed correctly and accurately. There are also many different types of visas that can be applied for. An inaccurate form will be sent back and prolong the process. Legal assistance from an immigration attorney is recommended.

Source: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, "I am a U.S. citizen: How do I help my relative become a U.S. permanent resident?," accessed Dec. 31, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Kurzban's Immigration Law Sourcebook

We Literally Wrote The Book On Immigration Law

Our firm is a recognized leader in immigration law and litigation. We handle the spectrum from family and employment-based visas to deportation defense and immigration appeals. Founding partner Ira Kurzban authored the Immigration Law Sourcebook, widely used by immigration lawyers, judges and government officials as the authoritative field reference.

Aggressive Advocacy and Exceptional Civil Litigation Successes Call Our Firm at 786-401-4706 or Fill Out the Secure Form Below

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

IIUSA | 2018 EB-5 Industry Achievement Awards | Litigator Of The Year |Kurzban Kurzban Weinger Tetzeli & Pratt P.A.
2018 EB-5 Industry Achievement Award

Miami Office
2650 SW 27th Avenue
2nd Floor
Miami, FL 33133

Phone: 786-401-4706
Fax: 305-444-3503
Miami Law Office Map

Jacksonville Office
10752 Deerwood Park Boulevard South
Suite 100
Jacksonville, FL 32256

Map & Directions

Jed Kurzban Of Counsel at Damon Key Leong Kupchak Hastert, A Law Corporation
1003 Bishop Street
Suite 1600
Pauahi Tower
Honolulu, HI 96813
Phone: 808-531-8031

Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli and Pratt P.A.